Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
This can't be true-NYT mentions MSNBC may put Ezra Klein in Big Ed's timeslot
11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
This can't be true-NYT mentions MSNBC may put Ezra Klein in Big Ed's timeslot
Namely:

Quote:The Anti-Fox Gains Ground
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/busine...ss&emc=rss

Several MSNBC employees, who spoke about programming plans on the condition of anonymity, said the most likely candidate for a new show was the Washington Post columnist Ezra Klein, a frequent substitute for Ms. Maddow. Mr. Klein may start with a weekend time slot, but these people said the 8 p.m. weekday time slot held by Mr. Schultz was also a possibility.

That would be a huge mistake. Ezra Klein is an admirable wonk, but he's been having epic episodes of conservative-ass-kissing-dumb lately. Don't mess with Big Ed, MSNBC! Leave him be!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
This can't be true-NYT mentions MSNBC may put Ezra Klein in Big Ed's timeslot #1 - janedrake - 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM
[*]
11-11-2012, 10:16 PM
RE: This can't be true-NYT mentions MSNBC may put Ezra Klein in Big Ed's timeslot
Ed has good ratings. Perhaps they'll swap time slots or something.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11...12/156802/

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
11-11-2012, 11:11 PM
RE: This can't be true-NYT mentions MSNBC may put Ezra Klein in Big Ed's timeslot
Or maybe they could give Ezra one of Tweety's timeslots. Why he's on twice a day, usually with the second timeslot being a repeat of the first, is beyond me.

And yeah, don't take Ed's show away.

I like Ezra, but he's just a little too wonky to digest for an entire hour.

Silence is consent.
11-12-2012, 12:04 AM
(11-11-2012 11:11 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  Or maybe they could give Ezra one of Tweety's timeslots. Why he's on twice a day, usually with the second timeslot being a repeat of the first, is beyond me.

And yeah, don't take Ed's show away.

I like Ezra, but he's just a little too wonky to digest for an entire hour.

THIS!!! Great as a guest--a full hour? Nope. Ed has to stay, even though he really got on my last nerve before the 2010 elections.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
11-12-2012, 05:28 AM
IMHO MSNBC needs to do something with the 7 PM (eastern) slot. Repeating Hardball is a mistake. Put Matthews live at 7 and plug in a new show at 5.

I would give the spot to Joy Reid or Tamron Hall. The lineup needs more minority input.

I think Ezra is a bit too wonky to carry a whole hour 5 nights a week but he might make a good partner in a show anchored by two people.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
11-12-2012, 08:54 AM
(11-12-2012 05:28 AM)pappy Wrote:  IMHO MSNBC needs to do something with the 7 PM (eastern) slot. Repeating Hardball is a mistake. Put Matthews live at 7 and plug in a new show at 5.

I would give the spot to Joy Reid or Tamron Hall. The lineup needs more minority input.

I think Ezra is a bit too wonky to carry a whole hour 5 nights a week but he might make a good partner in a show anchored by two people.

Matthews gets surprisingly good ratings considering his show is on twice. His 5 and 7PM show often outperform Politicsnation which is in-between them: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11...12/155550/

Many thought Rachel was too wonky and she's their best rated show, so ya never know. I do like Tamron Hall and Martin Bashir.

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
(11-12-2012 08:54 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 05:28 AM)pappy Wrote:  IMHO MSNBC needs to do something with the 7 PM (eastern) slot. Repeating Hardball is a mistake. Put Matthews live at 7 and plug in a new show at 5.

Matthews gets surprisingly good ratings considering his show is on twice. His 5 and 7PM show often outperform Politicsnation which is in-between them: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11...12/155550/

Many thought Rachel was too wonky and she's their best rated show, so ya never know. I do like Tamron Hall and Martin Bashir.

I think the difference between Rachel and Ezra, wonky as they both are, is that Rachel has a great sense of humor. Ezra doesn't seem to have one.

Silence is consent.
11-12-2012, 04:08 PM
(11-12-2012 02:50 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 08:54 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Matthews gets surprisingly good ratings considering his show is on twice. His 5 and 7PM show often outperform Politicsnation which is in-between them: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/11...12/155550/

I think the difference between Rachel and Ezra, wonky as they both are, is that Rachel has a great sense of humor. Ezra doesn't seem to have one.

I agree about both but I'd add that Ezra doesn't present his argument as well. Rachel has a way of explaining the wonky details that doesn't at all sound wonky while Ezra digs into the weeds until my eyes glaze over.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
11-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Ezra has surprised me recently with his status on the morning shows. He seems overly wonky as a host, but very astute as a guest on some of the morning programs.

After Ed lambasted Obama after the first debate, we no longer watch his show--ever. I wonder if there are others who do the same.
11-12-2012, 10:23 AM
(11-12-2012 09:41 AM)suzie Wrote:  Ezra has surprised me recently with his status on the morning shows. He seems overly wonky as a host, but very astute as a guest on some of the morning programs.

After Ed lambasted Obama after the first debate, we no longer watch his show--ever. I wonder if there are others who do the same.

Obama lambasted himself over this performance in the 1st debate. As did I. As did Ed. As did Rachel. As did Matthews. It was an appropriate thing to do and Obama was more than up to the task of learning from his mistake. Pretending a misstep is not a misstep is what Republicans do and is why they lost.

11-12-2012, 10:38 AM
(11-12-2012 10:23 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 09:41 AM)suzie Wrote:  Ezra has surprised me recently with his status on the morning shows. He seems overly wonky as a host, but very astute as a guest on some of the morning programs.

Obama lambasted himself over this performance in the 1st debate. As did I. As did Ed. As did Rachel. As did Matthews. It was an appropriate thing to do and Obama was more than up to the task of learning from his mistake. Pretending a misstep is not a misstep is what Republicans do and is why they lost.

No, Ed's level of vitriol at Obama wasn't appropriate and was way over what the others did.

We watch Rachel, Mathews a lot less now, but they either walked back their comments pretty quickly or were just a lot less out and out anti-Obama. Reverend Al probably had the best commentary that night, because he's actually been there in debates. Followed by Larry O'Donnell.

Seemed to me that you could take Ed of Virginia, but.....
11-12-2012, 09:45 PM
(11-12-2012 10:38 AM)suzie Wrote:  
(11-12-2012 10:23 AM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Obama lambasted himself over this performance in the 1st debate. As did I. As did Ed. As did Rachel. As did Matthews. It was an appropriate thing to do and Obama was more than up to the task of learning from his mistake. Pretending a misstep is not a misstep is what Republicans do and is why they lost.

No, Ed's level of vitriol at Obama wasn't appropriate and was way over what the others did.

We watch Rachel, Mathews a lot less now, but they either walked back their comments pretty quickly or were just a lot less out and out anti-Obama. Reverend Al probably had the best commentary that night, because he's actually been there in debates. Followed by Larry O'Donnell.

Seemed to me that you could take Ed of Virginia, but.....

Ed is undoubtedly more likely to emote and be a hot head. I'm not OK with his outbursts, but I can occasionally share his frustration. You always hurt the ones you love...

11-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Ugh. The guy is dull as dishwater and there's something about his speech that annoys me - can't put my finger on it. I never watch a show he's hosting - can't take an hour of him. Decent guest, though.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Sy8Wkw8RrZ-PS8QwfNa...lWPNPpUA2w]
11-12-2012, 12:48 PM
They should leave Ed where he is, take one of Tweety's spots and give Dr. Michael Eric Dyson a show!
11-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Ed says no.
11-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Given the turnout among younger voters in 2 elections now, I'd think that MSNBC might be going for the younger audience with Klein--and if he doesn't work out, someone else young.

I've watched Chris Hayes and all his younger commentators on Saturdays occasionally. Hayes has impressed me with how much he's matured in a fairly short time and how balanced his approach to various political trends is, even when it doesn't necessarily fit with his personal politics.

Seems like MSNBC is going for that demographic--which is the one the advertisers like.
11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
(11-12-2012 03:26 PM)suzie Wrote:  Given the turnout among younger voters in 2 elections now, I'd think that MSNBC might be going for the younger audience with Klein--and if he doesn't work out, someone else young.

I've watched Chris Hayes and all his younger commentators on Saturdays occasionally. Hayes has impressed me with how much he's matured in a fairly short time and how balanced his approach to various political trends is, even when it doesn't necessarily fit with his personal politics.

Seems like MSNBC is going for that demographic--which is the one the advertisers like.

I still think they would be making a mistake. As frustrated as I was with Ed in 2010, overall I like him (and I think he may have learned from his mistakes in 2010). Ezra's wonkiness won't appeal to the same people who watch Ed, and like him or not, he does have an appeal to "the workin' folk".

Silence is consent.
11-13-2012, 06:21 AM
Except that I don't think Ed loves Obama at all.

Didn't earlier on in Obama's first term, doesn't now.

There's an unacceptable edge to the way Ed goes after Obama. It wasn't just disappointment with the debate, there was an ugliness in Ed's statements that just went way beyond what's acceptable.