Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Boehner Tells House Members That GOP Lost Badly, And That They Can't Afford Another H
11-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Boehner Tells House Members That GOP Lost Badly, And That They Can't Afford Another H
REPORT: Boehner Tells House Members That GOP Lost Badly, And That They Can't Afford Another Huge Debt Showdown
Joe Weisenthal | Nov. 10, 2012, 10:31 PM

This is the first hint that the GOP will not attempt to go to the mat in the Fiscal Cliff fight, as it did during the debt ceiling fight of 2011.

Jonathan Weisman and Jennifer Steinhauer at the NYT report that Boehner told his caucus to get in line, and acknowledge the reality that the GOP got whooped in the election, and is weakened:

Their party lost, badly, Mr. Boehner said, and while Republicans would still control the House and would continue to staunchly oppose tax rate increases as Congress grapples with the impending fiscal battle, they had to avoid the nasty showdowns that marked so much of the last two years.

<..> It's still early, and Boehner could face a revolt, but so far the Fiscal Cliff story is not unfolding like the Debt Ceiling story.

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-bo...wn-2012-11

So one repub realizes they lost badly, good for Boehner....if this is true!

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-11-2012, 10:02 AM
RE: Boehner Tells House Members That GOP Lost Badly, And That They Can't Afford Another H
Looks like a trial balloon to me. Throw out a modest statement warning about overreach and see how much blow back comes from the right. If blow back is modest then some moderate Republicans may pull their heads out of their behinds.

GOTV in 2014
11-11-2012, 10:03 AM
RE: Boehner Tells House Members That GOP Lost Badly, And That They Can't Afford Another H
Patty Murray: If GOP Refuses All Tax Hikes, We’ll Let Them Go Up And Start Over
Sahil Kapur 10:15 AM EST, Sunday November 11, 2012

<..> "[T]o solve this problem, the wealthiest Americans have to pay their fair share too," she said. "If the Republicans will not agree with that, we will reach a point at the end of this year where all the tax cuts expire and we'll start over next year, and whatever we do will be a tax cut for whatever package we put together. That may be the way to get past this."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/en...-tax-hikes

Patty Murray has said before that they're ready to go over the cliff. Hopefully the repubs will meet with good intentions.....I know that's way out there.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
11-11-2012, 11:48 AM
(11-11-2012 10:03 AM)jaxx Wrote:  Patty Murray: If GOP Refuses All Tax Hikes, We’ll Let Them Go Up And Start Over
Sahil Kapur 10:15 AM EST, Sunday November 11, 2012

<..> "[T]o solve this problem, the wealthiest Americans have to pay their fair share too," she said. "If the Republicans will not agree with that, we will reach a point at the end of this year where all the tax cuts expire and we'll start over next year, and whatever we do will be a tax cut for whatever package we put together. That may be the way to get past this."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/en...-tax-hikes

Patty Murray has said before that they're ready to go over the cliff. Hopefully the repubs will meet with good intentions.....I know that's way out there.

Maybe that's the best idea. Let working people look at a couple of paychecks and say "really, this is what I've been in a dither about?" Because for most people, it's not that much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Then there's the AMT ...

Unless Congress acts by the end of the year, more than 26 million households will for the first time face the AMT, which threatens to tack $3,700, on average, onto taxpayers’ bills for the current tax year. Because those people have never paid the AMT, they have no idea they are in its crosshairs — put there by a broader stalemate over tax policy that has kept Congress from limiting the AMT’s reach.
~~
Unlike most tax increases in the fiscal cliff, including the expiration of the George W. Bush-era income tax cuts, the AMT bill would come due almost immediately. And tax experts say it would be extremely disruptive to try to fix the AMT after the 2012 tax year closes Dec. 31.
~~

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama