Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DU a lingering disgrace to America
11-10-2012, 11:59 AM
I think it's important to remember the realities of war. Even if we think we're fighting a "good" war for the right reasons, this is the horror of what modern war means. It's not clear yet whether depleted uranium is the main culprit or some other contaminant. The article gets into that issue.

Quote:Iraq records huge rise in birth defects
New study links increase with military action by Western forces

It played unwilling host to one of the bloodiest battles of the Iraq war. Fallujah's homes and businesses were left shattered; hundreds of Iraqi civilians were killed. Its residents changed the name of their "City of Mosques" to "the polluted city" after the United States launched two massive military campaigns eight years ago. Now, one month before the World Health Organisation reveals its view on the legacy of the two battles for the town, a new study reports a "staggering rise" in birth defects among Iraqi children conceived in the aftermath of the war.

High rates of miscarriage, toxic levels of lead and mercury contamination and spiralling numbers of birth defects ranging from congenital heart defects to brain dysfunctions and malformed limbs have been recorded. Even more disturbingly, they appear to be occurring at an increasing rate in children born in Fallujah, about 40 miles west of Baghdad.

There is "compelling evidence" to link the increased numbers of defects and miscarriages to military assaults, says Mozhgan Savabieasfahani, one of the lead authors of the report and an environmental toxicologist at the University of Michigan's School of Public Health. Similar defects have been found among children born in Basra after British troops invaded, according to the new research.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-11-2012, 05:52 AM
RE: DU a lingering disgrace to America
LOL...When I saw the title, I thought the subject was about Democratic Underground.
Find all posts by this user
11-13-2012, 04:37 AM
(11-11-2012 05:52 AM)achieve Wrote:  LOL...When I saw the title, I thought the subject was about Democratic Underground.

Totally understandable. Grin
11-11-2012, 06:17 AM
I would think the modern battle
leaves a witch's brew of toxic chemicals and materials. In this case I wouldn't think there was even all that much DU, since DU rounds are anti-armor rounds and this was street to street and house to house fighting.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
11-11-2012, 07:46 AM
This is also happening in Afghanistan and even at home. American soldiers. http://m.democracynow.org/stories/5453
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Definitely. The one thing to make sure is that you don't step over the real trail while doggedly following one that might turn out false. Toxic soup is probably a closer answer than one thing or the other.
11-12-2012, 08:03 AM
http://rt.com/news/iraq-depleted-uranium-cancer/