Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Races in Arizona Still Hang in the Balance
11-10-2012, 08:24 AM
y FERNANDA SANTOS
Published: November 9, 2012

PHOENIX — Three days after the election, the outcome of several races remained a mystery in Arizona as officials struggle to count a record number of early and provisional ballots, many of them cast by voters who believed they had registered but whose names were not on the voter rolls at the polling place.

<..> Three Congressional races remained too close to call on Friday, and there were also some misgivings about the outcome of several other races. One of them was the United States Senate race, where, as of Friday, Jeff Flake, a Republican congressman, was ahead of his Democratic challenger, Richard H. Carmona, by 78,775 votes, according to unofficial results posted by the secretary of state.

Mr. Carmona conceded on Tuesday; on Friday, in a message to supporters, he wrote, “We will take every necessary step to make sure all of our supporters’ ballots are counted.”

Activists say that they believe, based on what they have heard from people in the field, that provisional ballots tended to be used most often in Hispanic and black neighborhoods. But that cannot be verified until all the ballots are counted, and officials in each of Arizona’s 15 counties have until next Friday to do that.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/us/pol...21110&_r=0

Would be good if Flake lost.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I've been following these two races:
I'm a bit surprised the race for Giffords seat is so close. I thought Barber would have a fairly easy victory.

Quote:The hand-picked successor of former Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords pulled slightly ahead of his Republican challenger for the first time Friday as more votes were tallied from the election.

Meanwhile, a Democrat seeking a Phoenix-area congressional seat saw her lead increase and began packing her bags for freshman orientation in Washington next week.

Both races were still too close to call, with the contest exceptionally tight between Rep. Ron Barber and former Air Force fighter pilot and Republican Martha McSally for the 2nd Congressional District.

The lead for Kyrsten Sinema in the race to fill the new 9th Congressional District widened, with Republican Vernon Parker trailing by about 4,000 votes.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/politics/f...-race.html

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top