Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Another Shameful GOP voter suppression tactic
11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Another Shameful GOP voter suppression tactic
Democrats and minorities wait in lines for hours while white republicans vote in about as much time as it takes to buy a pretzel from a street vendor

[Image: Screen%20shot%202012-11-07%20at%204.03.31%20PM.png]

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/1...hp?ref=fpb

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
RE: Another Shameful GOP voter suppression tactic
I hope something can be done about it, like the President said. Can't see the red House passing a bill to stop voter suppression.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
(11-08-2012 09:58 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I hope something can be done about it, like the President said. Can't see the red House passing a bill to stop voter suppression.

We just have to figure out a way to make them think it is their interest or we could be like them and stick it into a totally unrelated bill that they cannot vote against. Something that would get them in trouble with the NRA or Grover is they vote against it.

GOTV in 2014
11-09-2012, 06:51 AM
(11-08-2012 10:21 AM)pappy Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 09:58 AM)jaxx Wrote:  I hope something can be done about it, like the President said. Can't see the red House passing a bill to stop voter suppression.

We just have to figure out a way to make them think it is their interest or we could be like them and stick it into a totally unrelated bill that they cannot vote against. Something that would get them in trouble with the NRA or Grover is they vote against it.

You'd think they could figure it out if they ever want to win again. Without those they tried to suppress they're losers.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
HAVA was supposed to fix this after 2000. It didn't account for one simple thing, maybe two; counties without enough money to buy enough machines and a rampant push to cut at the local level to make even less tax revenue available.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2012, 01:21 PM
(11-08-2012 01:13 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  HAVA was supposed to fix this after 2000. It didn't account for one simple thing, maybe two; counties without enough money to buy enough machines and a rampant push to cut at the local level to make even less tax revenue available.

Too many federal grants only allow for the buying of things, but no money for people . That might be the problem here.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
11-08-2012, 01:56 PM
(11-08-2012 01:21 PM)NJMaverick Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:13 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  HAVA was supposed to fix this after 2000. It didn't account for one simple thing, maybe two; counties without enough money to buy enough machines and a rampant push to cut at the local level to make even less tax revenue available.

Too many federal grants only allow for the buying of things, but no money for people . That might be the problem here.

Machines break. What happens when there are no more grants and no local money to replace broken technology. I would think the old mechanical machines would work forever if they're maintained. Not as true of electronics. I would think it would be easier to get volunteers than replace expensive computer machines, plus have them programmed every election. Maybe not, but it would be worth some investigative reporting by some journalist somewhere. Probably a better use of Matt Taibi's time than another round of bashing Obama an Democrats.
11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
(11-08-2012 01:56 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:21 PM)NJMaverick Wrote:  Too many federal grants only allow for the buying of things, but no money for people . That might be the problem here.

Machines break. What happens when there are no more grants and no local money to replace broken technology. I would think the old mechanical machines would work forever if they're maintained. Not as true of electronics. I would think it would be easier to get volunteers than replace expensive computer machines, plus have them programmed every election. Maybe not, but it would be worth some investigative reporting by some journalist somewhere. Probably a better use of Matt Taibi's time than another round of bashing Obama an Democrats.

One word, paper.

If the machine to count them breaks they can still be counted by (gasp) people.

GOTV in 2014
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
(11-08-2012 02:00 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 01:56 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  Machines break. What happens when there are no more grants and no local money to replace broken technology. I would think the old mechanical machines would work forever if they're maintained. Not as true of electronics. I would think it would be easier to get volunteers than replace expensive computer machines, plus have them programmed every election. Maybe not, but it would be worth some investigative reporting by some journalist somewhere. Probably a better use of Matt Taibi's time than another round of bashing Obama an Democrats.

One word, paper.

Three words. Vote by mail. Solves all the voter ID, transportation to polls, polling place misinformation, vote switching, etc.
11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
(11-08-2012 02:11 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 02:00 PM)pappy Wrote:  One word, paper.

Three words. Vote by mail. Solves all the voter ID, transportation to polls, polling place misinformation, vote switching, etc.

I like your three words but will add 3 of my own, trust but verify.

Mail in would be by definition on paper, check. But what happens if it doesn't get where it belongs? Needs a method of verification that you ballot arrived before the election and then to verify that it was counted.

GOTV in 2014
11-08-2012, 04:57 PM
(11-08-2012 02:40 PM)pappy Wrote:  
(11-08-2012 02:11 PM)sandnsea Wrote:  Three words. Vote by mail. Solves all the voter ID, transportation to polls, polling place misinformation, vote switching, etc.

I like your three words but will add 3 of my own, trust but verify.

Mail in would be by definition on paper, check. But what happens if it doesn't get where it belongs? Needs a method of verification that you ballot arrived before the election and then to verify that it was counted.

Check.

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/orestar/v...source=SOS

If your ballot is received but not included because of signature, they will notify you.

You can only check to make sure your paper ballot went into the hopper. Once it's there, there is no way for anybody to know if one particular paper ballot was counted or kicked out because of an irregularity. It's a private vote.