Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Josh Mandel's In-Laws Call Him Out on Anti-Gay Stance in Newspaper Ad
11-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Josh Mandel's In-Laws Call Him Out on Anti-Gay Stance in Newspaper Ad
Dear Josh,

Four years ago you came into our family. We still remember the excitement surrounding your wedding, and how happy our family members were as they described it afterwards. So we were deeply saddened when you announced during your October 18th debate with Senator Sherrod Brown that you believe only some people should share this right to marry the person they love, while others should not.

Your cousins, Ellen Ratner and Cholene Espinoza, are among the many wonderful couples whose rights you do not recognize. They were married almost eight years ago in Massachusetts, at a time when it was the only state in the nation to allow same-sex marriage. Their wedding, like yours, was a beautiful and happy occasion for all of us in our family. It hurts us that you would embrace discrimination against them and countless other loving couples in Ohio and around the country.

We are equally distressed by your belief that gay men and women should not be allowed to serve openly in the military. Like you, Cholene spent many years in the armed forces. A graduate of the Air Force Academy and an accomplished pilot, she became the second woman in history to fly the U-2 reconnaissance plane. And yet, you have argued that she, like many gay and lesbian soldiers, should be forced to live a life of secrecy and lies.

{.....}

http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/19319

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
11-05-2012, 02:12 PM
RE: Josh Mandel's In-Laws Call Him Out on Anti-Gay Stance in Newspaper Ad
Wow!!

Silence is consent.
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
(11-05-2012 02:12 PM)SeattleGirl Wrote:  Wow!!

Google the names of the cousins that signed that ltr.

GOTV in 2014
11-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Wow, the Ratner family is well known in Cleveland. They are not lightweights.

The whole list of cousins that signed that letter are well respected, though NOT I might add in conservative circles.

GOTV in 2014
11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Great call out by the family. Maybe they can show him how ugly his stance is on marriage equality.
It makes me wonder how the woman ever married him.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Michael Ratner
From his WIKI page:

Quote:Michael Ratner (born 1943, Cleveland, Ohio) is an attorney, President Emeritus of the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR), a non-profit human rights litigation organization based in New York, New York and president of the European Center for Constitutional and Human Rights (ECCHR) based in Berlin.

Ratner is known for his human rights activism.

Just to confirm it is the same person the second signor is Bruce Ratner (also from Michael's WIKI)

Quote:Ratner is the brother of radio talk show host and Fox News contributor Ellen Ratner and New Jersey Nets owner, Bruce Ratner. He is a 1966 graduate of Brandeis University. He received his law degree from Columbia Law School.

Interestingly Ellen Ratner is not a signatory to the letter.

GOTV in 2014
11-06-2012, 02:52 AM
That's gutsy!
They must be a great family. I have a feeling that his wife must be having deep second thoughts about marrying that bigot / opportunistic politician.

Hekate

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
11-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Lost! Another one gone!!!!!

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama