Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are your thoughts on this New Yorker cover on the debate?
10-06-2012, 12:26 PM
[Image: 121015_2012_p465.jpg]

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Lame
and about as dishonest as Mitt

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
10-06-2012, 12:34 PM
RE: What are your thoughts on this New Yorker cover on the debate?
Ignorant.

Epic Fail = GOTV in 2014
10-06-2012, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 12:59 PM by janedrake.)
Let Mitt have this one. I'm looking forward to all the covers on Nov. 7th, which will read, President Barack Obama Re-elected in Landslide Win Over Opponent, Mitt Romney.
10-06-2012, 01:12 PM
It's funny. Harsh, but funny. Since absolutely nobody else came up with that, I can see why they went with it. It is a definite example of the first order of business in any media outlet - being business. It sells magazines.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2012, 02:37 PM
To me it looks like Lehrer is asleep. How appropriate.

Notice that Willard is pointing his finger at Obama (or where Obama would be if drawn in) the way Jan Brewer did.

And lastly, the empty chair... sure, it could be interpreted as an absent Obama but it could also be seen as that strange Eastwood "doddering old man" moment from the RNC when he talked to the imaginary Obama from RW world... and remember, THAT Obama told Willard to go f**k himself.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Christmas isn't just a day. It's a frame of mind.”
10-06-2012, 02:52 PM
There are still big cultural differences in America. Some people are impressed when they see someone act like an overly aggressive jerk. They think it's assertive and so on. Many of those people live in urban areas like New York where that kind of behavior is normal and seen as a virtue. They don't realize that, to many people in America, Romney made himself look like an ass.
10-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Willard showed he is still the bully who gets his frat brat buddies to hold down the kid and cut his hair. Entitled, boorish and obnoxious.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
10-06-2012, 03:16 PM
not impressed
10-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah, it's a play off of how Romney talked "at" Obama using the Gish Gallop technique analogized to Clint Eastwood's talking to an empty chair.

It's also a swipe at Obama for allowing Republicans to promote the meme that he is not adequate without a teleprompter.

Obviously it's distasteful - it's frequently annoying how New Yorker likes to be the person who can hurt you more when you least need it - just because they know you better.

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
I think it fucking sucks!

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
10-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Remember back in 2008, when they did a cover of Barack and Michelle as fist-bumping Muslim terrorists in the Oval Office?

Plus, they seem to have a hard-on for Mittens. I recall, after a debate in the primaries where Romney dominated, they ran a cover of Full'o'Mitt driving along with Santorum tied to the roof of his car.
10-06-2012, 11:43 PM
(10-06-2012 10:44 PM)regnaD kciN Wrote:  Remember back in 2008, when they did a cover of Barack and Michelle as fist-bumping Muslim terrorists in the Oval Office?

Plus, they seem to have a hard-on for Mittens. I recall, after a debate in the primaries where Romney dominated, they ran a cover of Full'o'Mitt driving along with Santorum tied to the roof of his car.

Yep. They're clever. They're The New Yorker. Cool
10-07-2012, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 01:35 AM by sandnsea.)
There are a couple of good pieces in the magazine though, one is remarks from friends and acquaintances who know his character. It really humanizes him and takes the sting off the debate (and cover). There's also some pics from Occidental and piece about a poetry seminar and an apartheid protest. Isn't there a right wing myth that nobody from Occidental remembers him? So if the cover is snarky and gets some asshole buyers - they're going to have quite a different portrait inside.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/ne...ebate.html