Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Newsweek's 10 Best Presidents (Photos)
09-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Newsweek's 10 Best Presidents (Photos)
From Franklin Delano Roosevelt to John F. Kennedy Newsweek's 10 Best Presidents (Photos)

by The Daily Beast

Amid a ceaseless barrage of cynicism from the current campaign, Newsweek’s special issue takes a step back to examine the narratives of great American presidents. Employing a panel of 10 distinguished historians—spanning several generations—Newsweek ranked the 10 best presidents since 1900. From Theodore Roosevelt to Barack Obama, here's a first look at our list of the men who made the cut.

FDR
Teddy Roosevelt
LBJ
Ike
Wilson
Truman
Clinton
JFK
Reagan
Obama

<..> Barack Obama
by The Daily Beast

Picking a sitting president in a tally of best is tricky—history hasn’t had time to put things in a more sober context. But the historic election of America’s first black president cannot be ignored. That a man whose ancestors included a slave could become the leader of a nation founded to some extent in slavery is as much an achievement for the country as it is a marker for Obama himself. Whether Obama stays or goes, his standing as a fundamentally groundbreaking president will remain.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2...56e5e50b71

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2...introSlide

President Obama will be the beacon for all still to come. I think his accomplishments will put him to the top too.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
09-30-2012, 11:05 AM
RE: Newsweek's 10 Best Presidents (Photos)
And I hope in my lifetime that list of great Presidents will include a woman!

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
09-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Abe Lincoln
Surely Honest Abe deserves a spot in the top three.
09-30-2012, 04:23 PM
(09-30-2012 03:04 PM)violet Wrote:  Surely Honest Abe deserves a spot in the top three.

No kidding. My list would look very different but I don't know how anyone leaves out Lincoln.

Teddy is trendy right now. He's OK but I wouldn't rank him so high.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
(09-30-2012 04:23 PM)Willinois Wrote:  
(09-30-2012 03:04 PM)violet Wrote:  Surely Honest Abe deserves a spot in the top three.

No kidding. My list would look very different but I don't know how anyone leaves out Lincoln.

Teddy is trendy right now. He's OK but I wouldn't rank him so high.

The above list was based on presidents since 1900. That's why Lincoln isn't included.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
― Carl Sagan
09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
(09-30-2012 04:50 PM)azmouse Wrote:  The above list was based on presidents since 1900. That's why Lincoln isn't included.

I guess I could have actually bothered to read that somewhere. Grin

There aren't enough Presidents since 1900 to make a top ten. I can barely name 10 I like in all of history. They're mostly all mixed bags.
09-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Agreed. What the heck is Ike doing there? Or Wilson? Or at least, when Lincoln is not there.

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama

Is féidir linn.
09-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok, let's start. I'll do my top 10 list. Anyone else itching to post their's?

FDR
Lincoln
Jefferson
Grant
Obama
LBJ
Truman
T. Roosevelt
James Monroe
William Henry Harrison

Harrison died after serving 32 days in office. Such a short term makes him one of the best because he wasn't able to do as much damage as the others.
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Polk (he did everything he wanted to accomplish in one term, as I recall from my high school history teacher)

Lincoln

Jefferson

FDR

Obama

Jackson

JFK

LBJ

Washington

Clinton

(not in any order)

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama

Is féidir linn.