Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
09-05-2012, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 09:17 AM by Brewman_Jax.)
Post: #1
The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks, Roll Back the Civil Rights Movement

http://www.alternet.org/gops-disgusting-...s-movement

From the article:
Quote:...

As a result, the Republican Party is now a minority party that still demands majority power. And perhaps this is why the party appears determined to shrink the majority, borrowing from pre-civil rights-era Southern states that used voting and election laws to manipulate the voting strength of the electorate.

This is the context in which we should understand Republican election officials' decision in Cincinnati last month to limit early voting in urban voting enclaves, while they guaranteed weekend voting and more flexible early voting hours in rural and suburban counties . Ending weekday early voting at 5 p.m. and canceling weekend early voting in Ohio's most populous cities would ensure that working voters in these jurisdictions became second-class citizens to their counterparts who live outside the metro areas. A recent federal court decision requiring uniform early voting hours for all voters in the state may have reversed this plan.

This is why the Republican war on voting should not be viewed solely through the lens of race. Instead it should be seen as part of a larger attack on political participation, with deep historical roots that hark back to the darkest days of American democracy. Combined with the effects of the Supreme Court's Citizens United decision, Republican voter-suppression efforts are a sobering reminder that we are only half a century removed from the time when, in many states, voting strength was based on race, wealth and place. These new voter-suppression tactics bring us perilously close to reliving those days.

...

The repubs know that their days are numbered and they won't change. We saw in the recent past with spotlights on Michael Steele and Piyush "Bobby" Jindal in a weak attempt to show how inclusive they are. They gave another lame try during the 2012 RNC with a few non-white teabagger candidates.

The party of Lincoln has morphed into the party of the racists. It needs to be sent into the dustbin of history.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Post Reply 
Messages In This Thread
[*]
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Post: #2
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
It's a good thing the Republicans had their convention, aka Klan meeting, last week. Can't wear white after Labor Day.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
09-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Post: #3
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
The rightwing now lives on states rights. They want to go back to the old ways, and disenfranchising voters is how they kept all the power in the old days. It's a well planned confederacy of republican dominance over the laws of the land. They will make their own laws and fight to keep their so-called superiority. We've seen it before, they are just dressing it up in new words this time.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012 10:30 AM by Peacetrain.)
Post: #4
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
Their days are numbered.. I wonder how they will try and spin it in 2016, as our demographics become more diverse. Are they going to try and take 30% of the old white male demographic and try and run a party from the 13 southern states? The other 70% of the white demographic are just moving on.. they (the republicans)are a party in decline at this point and juncture..

Like a rabid dog..they are dangerous..and will spit and bite if cornered..but the rest of us.. just need to keep out of their way.. keep them penned in .. and they will pass away from their own hate filled disease.

I am not saying they cannot redefine themselves and become a viable party again..but first they have go to do some house cleaning

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Post: #5
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
(09-05-2012 10:28 AM)Peacetrain Wrote:  Their days are numbered.. I wonder how they will try and spin it in 2016, as our demographics become more diverse. Are they going to try and take 30% of the old white male demographic and try and run a party from the 13 southern states? The other 70% of the white demographic are just moving on.. they (the republicans)are a party in decline at this point and juncture..

Like a rabid dog..they are dangerous..and will spit and bite if cornered..but the rest of us.. just need to keep out of their way.. keep them penned in .. and they will pass away from their own hate filled disease.

I am not saying they cannot redefine themselves and become a viable party again..but first they have go to do some house cleaning

I thought about that, too, but considering their recent history and their foul and near-criminal behavior of late, I don't expect them to have a grand revelation anytime soon.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
09-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Post: #6
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
(09-05-2012 02:55 PM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  
(09-05-2012 10:28 AM)Peacetrain Wrote:  Their days are numbered.. I wonder how they will try and spin it in 2016, as our demographics become more diverse. Are they going to try and take 30% of the old white male demographic and try and run a party from the 13 southern states? The other 70% of the white demographic are just moving on.. they (the republicans)are a party in decline at this point and juncture..

Like a rabid dog..they are dangerous..and will spit and bite if cornered..but the rest of us.. just need to keep out of their way.. keep them penned in .. and they will pass away from their own hate filled disease.

I am not saying they cannot redefine themselves and become a viable party again..but first they have go to do some house cleaning

I thought about that, too, but considering their recent history and their foul and near-criminal behavior of late, I don't expect them to have a grand revelation anytime soon.

After the Clinton beat down the republicans took last night.. you would think that they would get a clue Brewman..but you are probably right

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top
09-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Post: #7
RE: The GOP's Disgusting New Southern Strategy: Take the Vote Away from Blacks...
With Romney polling at near 0% among black voters and poor percentages with other minority groups, the GOP has even more incentive for voter suppression.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Post Reply 

Forum Jump:


User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)