Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Wal-Mart Dumps ALEC and Outs Them as Un-American
06-01-2012, 08:37 AM
By: Jason EasleyMay 31, 2012

Wal-Mart dumped ALEC and gave the reason as ALEC’s departure from Jeffersonian free market principles; a.k.a. Wal-Mart hinted ALEC has become un-American.

In a statement, Wal-Mart representative Maggie Sans wrote, “Previously, we expressed our concerns about ALEC’s decision to weigh in on issues that stray from its core mission ‘to advance the Jeffersonian principles of free markets…We feel that the divide between these activities and our purpose as a business has become too wide. To that end, we are suspending our membership in ALEC.”

Wal-Mart claimed that ALEC was no longer as interested in Jeffersonian free market principles as they were other partisan political issues. Two of those unnamed political issues are most certainly voter ID and stand your ground laws.

<..> Wal-Mart is sensitive to its public image, and with good reason given its business model, but to accuse ALEC of drifting away from Jeffersonian principles was a serious allegation that struck at the very core of the organization’s public façade. Of course, the allegation contains more than a healthy bit of irony as few companies have done as much to destroy workers’ rights, small businesses, and free markets as Wal-Mart. Sam Walton’s baby calling another organization un-American is a serious pot meets kettle moment.

http://www.politicususa.com/wal-mart-dum...rican.html

It's pretty bad when even Wal-Mart thinks ALEC sucks.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
RE: Wal-Mart Dumps ALEC and Outs Them as Un-American
Honor among thieves? Who'd've thought! Grin
06-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Good on 'em... but I'm still not gonna shop there.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
06-01-2012, 10:31 AM
If we were playing word association and the name Jefferson is mentioned I doubt that many people would think "free market principles". More likely associations would probably include democracy, founding father, independence, President, Constitution.

"Free market" would not be anywhere on my list of things associated with Jefferson.

GOTV in 2014
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm sure this was financially motivated.
06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Who the heck cares? If our petitions and info campaigns...
... If our petitions and information campaigns had an impact on Wal-Mart, I say hallelujah.

(06-01-2012 02:47 PM)Fire1 Wrote:  I'm sure this was financially motivated.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does. ~Margaret Mead~
06-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Jefferson liked independent farmers, skilled craft laborers who owned their own business, and was suspicious of centralized economic power. He hated everything Walmart stands for.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Not to mention the fact that Jefferson was opposed to a colonial economic system that has parallels to the economic colonialism Walmart leads in China. If people in China today embraced Jeffersonian principles they would kick out Walmart's exploitative sweatshops and develop their own local economies. Will Walmart also abandon their support for free trade agreements in favor of the tariffs that Jefferson supported?
This horseshit is pissing me off.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user