Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Climate change killed my mom's garden chipmunks
05-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Climate change killed my mom's garden chipmunks
I don't blog much anymore so I thought I'd share this quick one I just wrote...

The little ways that climate change impacts people and our surroundings keep surprising me. Recently, I'm experiencing how mild winters like we had this year will be horrible for my asthma and allergies. It didn't freeze long enough to kill off many allergens.

My mom noticed that there's only one chipmunk in her backyard garden/wildlife sanctuary/all-you-can-beak bird buffet this year. She's used to having around nine, like she did last year. An article in National Wildlife Magazine told her the likely reason why.

Chipmunks hibernate for portions of the winter, interrupted by periods of activity, when certain temperature conditions are met. A chipmunk study shows that warm winters interrupt their normal hibernation pattern, which means 80%-90% don't survive the winter.

Since the winter of 2006 to 2007, Frank hasn’t seen chipmunks hibernate regularly at his study site. He fears dire times ahead for the world’s 90 hibernating mammal species. “Very little is known about how climate changes influence mammalian communities, but investigations over the past five years have suggested that species that use hibernation to survive the winter may be particularly sensitive to it,” Frank says. As such, chipmunks serve as one more warning that global warming is closing in.

Yet another party foul by climate change. I don't want to encourage anyone to make another Alvin and the Chipmunks movie but it looks like they need to take on fossil fuels in the next one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
05-02-2012, 10:38 AM
RE: Climate change killed my mom's garden chipmunks
oh.. I love the little striped beasties.. they look so cute running across the yard.. never thought that they would be a victim of the warming cycle

Thoughtful responses are the first victims of partisan passions.
Find all posts by this user
05-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I never thought about the animals who live according to seasons. Very sad.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Poor little critters. I used to see chipmunks in the mountains around Tucson. Too cute.

I hate to think how bad this climate change will get for future generations unless steps are taken now to slow or preferably reverse the terrible effects.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"