Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jobless claims suggest stumbling labor recovery
04-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Jobless claims suggest stumbling labor recovery
Quote:ASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of Americans lining up for new jobless benefits fell slightly last week but remained above levels posted earlier this year, suggesting improvement in the labor market is stalling.
Initial claims for state unemployment benefits dropped by 1,000 to 388,000, the Labor Department said on Thursday.

"This was a disappointing number and offers more evidence that the labor market continues to lose traction," said Joe Manimbo, an analyst at Western Union Business Solutions in Washington.

Economists polled by Reuters had expected new claims to fall to 375,000.

http://news.yahoo.com/jobless-claims-eas...iness.html

I'm starting to feel the results from March weren't an anomaly, but it's still too early to tell. This is not good news. It's not awful news. But at this point, you want to be at the point where we're getting good news, instead of, at best, average economic news. We'll see if this trend lasts, but the longer this continues, and it's been continuing for about a month now, the more likely the economy is slipping again.

Fortunately, the housing market is becoming more healthy. But right now, pure economic data is the most important measure and most signs are pointing to a slowdown. Here's hoping it's only a temporary deal.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
04-26-2012, 04:48 PM
fertgr9iyu854uy853yt7etf7e2yteyfg37frgyetryer76575238r7qwe8ufihsACNSNFUUFIFSF
Here's a bit more positive article (well not positive, but less defeatist and taking a 'let's wait and see approach...':

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/st...54547952/1

Quote:Economists note that unemployment benefit applications are lower than they were last year. The government's report next week on April employment should help clarify the jobs picture.
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
RE: Jobless claims suggest stumbling labor recovery
Claude Gauvin ‏ @JeffersonObama
Obama leads in 14/16 National Polls & 5 for 5 in economic & computer forecasting prediction models and 60.1% InTrade stock Markets #p2 #POLL

No doom there.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
04-26-2012, 05:34 PM
(04-26-2012 05:23 PM)jaxx Wrote:  Claude Gauvin ‏ @JeffersonObama
Obama leads in 14/16 National Polls & 5 for 5 in economic & computer forecasting prediction models and 60.1% InTrade stock Markets #p2 #POLL

No doom there.

I'm liking this!

Silence is consent.
04-26-2012, 05:49 PM

No doom there.

Did you see the polls Tweety put up tonight? Obama is leading in New Mexico by 14 points. OK, no surprise there. He's leading in ARIZONA by 2 points! Shocked OK, it's not a guaranteed win, but for Obama to be competing in AZ is shocking I tell you, shocking!

Confirmed, Fox "news" makes you stupid

The ones you are noticing are more terrified than anything else. They are lashing out because they are comfortable; and to acknowledge what is happening is a threat to that comfort. Ignore them, for they are not the voices that will rise in the coming days, months and years. They are not the voices of our collected humanity. They are the old voices of fear and impotence. - Anonymous
04-26-2012, 06:08 PM
(04-26-2012 05:49 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  Did you see the polls Tweety put up tonight? Obama is leading in New Mexico by 14 points. OK, no surprise there. He's leading in ARIZONA by 2 points! Shocked OK, it's not a guaranteed win, but for Obama to be competing in AZ is shocking I tell you, shocking!

Arizona is an extremely pleasant surprise to me. I think what you're seeing there is a gen-u-ine SouthWest style pushback at all the crazy pinheaded racist teabagging crap they've tried to shove down peoples' throats over the last few years. It looks like Arizonans aren't having it.

Good on them.
04-26-2012, 09:30 PM
(04-26-2012 05:49 PM)There Is No Spoon Wrote:  

No doom there.

Did you see the polls Tweety put up tonight? Obama is leading in New Mexico by 14 points. OK, no surprise there. He's leading in ARIZONA by 2 points! Shocked OK, it's not a guaranteed win, but for Obama to be competing in AZ is shocking I tell you, shocking!

I saw them and they are looking good. Agree on AZ....hope McCain likes it too. roflmao

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
04-26-2012, 06:13 PM

No doom there.

Polls right now are good. But if the economy slumps again, I'm pretty confident in saying those polls will vastly change. Next week will tell us a lot. I'm hoping for 150,000-plus job gains. If it's less than March, though, well...
04-26-2012, 06:02 PM
England is having a double dip and in a world economy that isn't good
04-26-2012, 06:14 PM
(04-26-2012 06:02 PM)SemiCharmedQuark Wrote:  England is having a double dip and in a world economy that isn't good

We probably won't see a recession (maybe in 2013), but the overall slump in Europe could certainly bleed over here.