Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
zzNews Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A sergeant will be discharged for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook in a case that called into question the Pentagon's policies about social media and its limits on the speech of active duty military personnel, the Marine Corps said Wednesday.

Sgt. Gary Stein will get an other-than-honorable discharge and lose most of his benefits for violating the policies, the Corps said.

The San Diego-area Marine who has served nine years in the Corps said he was disappointed by the decision. He argued that he was exercising his constitutional rights to free speech.

"I love the Marine Corps, I love my job. I wish it wouldn't have gone this way. I'm having a hard time seeing how 15 words on Facebook could have ruined my nine-year career," he told The Associated Press.

~~

Tom Umberg, a former Army colonel and military prosecutor, said Stein persisted even after being warned.

"The Marine Corps gave him the opportunity to think about his actions, yet Sgt. Stein continued to undermine the chain of command," said Umberg, who was not involved in Stein's case. "I think his purpose was to leave the Marine Corps in a dramatic fashion in order to begin a career in talk radio or what have you."

~~~

RWNJs heads exploding as we speak.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
04-25-2012, 04:17 PM
RE: Marines discharge sergeant for Facebook posts
Being a veteran, I have no pity for this RW crybaby. One of the first things you're told when you enter the service is that parts of the Constitution don't apply to you anymore, incl. freedom of speech. He was warned.

Conservatism (n.), the irrational fear that somewhere someone you think is inferior is being treated as your equal.
04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
(04-25-2012 04:17 PM)Brewman_Jax Wrote:  Being a veteran, I have no pity for this RW crybaby. One of the first things you're told when you enter the service is that parts of the Constitution don't apply to you anymore, incl. freedom of speech. He was warned.

Exactly. Umberg gets it right:

"The Marine Corps gave him the opportunity to think about his actions, yet Sgt. Stein continued to undermine the chain of command," said Umberg, who was not involved in Stein's case. "I think his purpose was to leave the Marine Corps in a dramatic fashion in order to begin a career in talk radio or what have you."
04-25-2012, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2012 04:58 PM by pappy.)
I put the chances at better than 50/50 that this guy gets a podium speech at the GOP convention.

#NMP
04-25-2012, 06:41 PM
This guy has no excuses, since he was warned. And criticizing your CinC while you are an active duty member of the military is a huge no-no.

Silence is consent.
04-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I think Umberg nailed it. I had a neighbor who broke his own foot with a shovel to get out of the army (His father was a big time miliary man and made him join or get out of the house). Making an asshole out of yourself is both a much easier solution and will prove lucrative in the future. it secures your present and your future.
04-25-2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe the next one will think twice before spouting off about the Commander-in-Chief. All presidents deserve respect from the troops, it goes with the office.

#NMP
My President is Barack Obama.
#TheResistance
04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
This Marine sergeant was not only a whiner but a stupid one at that if he didn't know that a member of the United States Marines doesn't have the same right of freedom of speech as a civilian. He did have the right and duty to respect his Commander in Chief and should have paid attention to the warning he was given. I am sorry he wasn't given brig time and loss of all his benefits as well.