Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Obama includes gays in Holocaust speech
04-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Obama includes gays in Holocaust speech
President Obama explicitly addressed the plight gay men faced during the Holocaust in a speech Monday urging that the atrocities of the genocide “never again” occur.

Speaking at the U.S. Holocaust Museum in D.C., Obama included gays as part of the groups of people who were among the estimated 6 million victims during the genocide.

“We must tell our children about a crime unique in human history,” Obama said. “The one and only Holocaust — six million innocent people — men, women, children, babies — sent to their deaths just for being different, just for being Jewish. We tell them, our children, about the millions of Poles and Catholics and Roma and gay people and so many others who also must never be forgotten.”

Obama’s speech, delivered to an estimated 250 people, took place days after Holocaust Remembrance Day, or Yom HaShoah, which began Wednesday evening and ended in the evening Thursday.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2012/04/2...gton+Blade

"Understand that the more deeply you hold your ideals,
the more you are morally obligated to be pragmatic...Idealism without pragmatism
is just a way to flatter your ego." -Barney Frank
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: Obama includes gays in Holocaust speech
Glad to hear that! I think that sometimes, the fact that gays were also victims of the Holocaust is forgotten or minimized.

Silence is consent.
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Here is the speech:

President Obama Speaks on Preventing Mass Atrocities

April 23, 2012 | 35:42 | Public Domain

After an introduction by Professor Elie Wiesel, President Obama speaks at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum about honoring the pledge of “never again” by doing everything we can to prevent mass atrocities and genocide, and discusses steps his Administration is taking to make this a reality.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-vid...atrocities

I listened to the speech this morning. We truly have a President who remembers all of his brothers and sisters. It was very moving.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
04-24-2012, 05:35 PM
(04-23-2012 08:09 PM)jaxx Wrote:  Here is the speech:

President Obama Speaks on Preventing Mass Atrocities

April 23, 2012 | 35:42 | Public Domain

After an introduction by Professor Elie Wiesel, President Obama speaks at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum about honoring the pledge of “never again” by doing everything we can to prevent mass atrocities and genocide, and discusses steps his Administration is taking to make this a reality.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/photos-and-vid...atrocities

I listened to the speech this morning. We truly have a President who remembers all of his brothers and sisters. It was very moving.
I agree. I think he sent a universal message.