Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The next big issue to divide the GOP
03-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Posted at 01:07 PM ET, 03/13/2012
By Greg Sargent

The payroll tax cut fight worked beautifully for Democrats because it left the Congressional GOP divided and vulnerable to charges that it was willing to put the recovery at risk in order to please the ideologues in its ranks. It pitted those who recognized that not extending the tax cut would be terrible politics against the Tea Party wing, which decided that a tax cut for working people suddenly needed to be opposed at all costs.

Dems now think they have hit on another issue that could divide the GOP: The coming battle over the U.S. Import-Export Bank. It could pit the party’s business wing against “populist” conservatives, allowing Dems to portray the GOP as so in thrall to the Tea Party that it’s willing to jepoardize the recovery.

<..> Dem messaging chief Chuck Schumer is challenging House Republicans to agree to the request — and signaling Dems will use this as a wedge issue if they don’t. In a statement sent my way, Schumer said:

“It’s not every day Republicans oppose the Chamber of Commerce, but that’s how far overboard some in the House have gone. This shouldn’t be a fight, but if House Republicans oppose a no-brainer like this, it will be a colossal mistake just like the payroll tax cut debate was. They will be on the wrong side of a jobs issue, and they will be divided.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum..._blog.html

This is good. Once again the GOP will be forced to publicly undermine the economy.....or cave. I love it.

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
is for good men to do nothing. ~Burke
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
[*]
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I think it's an excellent example of the GOP's hatred of America
but I think the issue is a bit too complex to play well to the American voters. If the issue can't be explained in under 2 or 3 sentences it's not going to fly.

“Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

Benjamin Franklin
03-13-2012, 11:31 AM
RE: The next big issue to divide the GOP
(03-13-2012 11:20 AM)NJMaverick Wrote:  but I think the issue is a bit too complex to play well to the American voters. If the issue can't be explained in under 2 or 3 sentences it's not going to fly.

You do have a point. Hopefully they will pare it down to everyday language....like pushing succeed or fail meme.

03-13-2012, 12:03 PM
(03-13-2012 11:20 AM)NJMaverick Wrote:  but I think the issue is a bit too complex to play well to the American voters. If the issue can't be explained in under 2 or 3 sentences it's not going to fly.

Good point.
03-14-2012, 04:45 AM
(03-13-2012 12:03 PM)janedrake Wrote:  

Good point.

I agree that this is too much "inside politics" to play well with the larger voting public.

However the "inside politics" side of this is important. Inside the GOP is where the civil war over party domination is being waged. In the backrooms of Congress Boehner is trying to hold the line for the old guard while the rabble is storming the gates demanding power.

The GOP rabble is winning the war at this point. The old guard will not let go easily. The ultimate outcome is very much in question and the Import/Export Bank issue is aimed squarely at stoking the fires of that war in the backrooms of Congress if not in the general GOP audience.

GOTV in 2014
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Easy!

Teapartiers in the House will not vote for clean Highway bill!!:Undecided

That bill will save thousands of jobs across the country and create many more. The bill passed the Senate by overwhelming numbers.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato
03-13-2012, 08:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-13-2012 08:23 PM by sellitman.)
It seems like they have done nothing else but split the party
This has been the best GOP Primary of my lifetime. The best thing to happen to Democrats in ages are the clowns now vying for the head idiot roll over there. There just isn't enough popcorn to go around.
03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
It's been interesting, that's for sure. Really poor candidates.

03-14-2012, 06:01 AM
(03-13-2012 08:25 PM)jaxx Wrote:  It's been interesting, that's for sure. Really poor candidates.

All of my Conservative friends are disgusted with their choices. Then again they didn't like McCain either.