Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Dear Joan Walsh - you do not speak for me -updated
04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Dear Joan Walsh - you do not speak for me -updated
(the article by Joan Walsh that is referred to in this article if you would like to read it before this... http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/joan_w...index.html )

Quote:Dear Joan Walsh:
Your letter to President Obama in Salon is an all too typical example of why many of us no longer think of ourselves as "progressive" or "on the left". It's not as if we no longer care about social justice or have become enthusiasts of the Koch Brothers or even of the kind of watered down liberalism of the Democratic Leadership Club. It's just that we're neither disappointed by President Obama nor willing to put up with the peevish destructive mess that we are told represents the "progressive" and "left" point of view. There's an example of what I mean near the start of your piece. You write:

Monday was the day Obama broke a campaign promise by announcing that 9/11 planner Khalid Sheikh Muhammed would be tried in a military tribunal at Guantánamo.

You do know, I hope, that the US Senate voted 90/6 to deny funds for closing Guantanamo? Bernie Sanders and Russ Feingold voted along with Mitch McConnell on this bill. Look it up.
And you probably also know about the three branches of government and that sort of stuff. So how can you not know that this is not a broken promise? The President tried to fulfill his promise despite overwhelming opposition from his own allies in Congress and the lack of any popular support or organized pressure on Congress. And he kept trying - here's a story on Attorney General Holder begging Congress to do the right thing 6 months later. The President took his campaign promise seriously and was defeated by Congress and abandoned by all the people who claimed to care deeply but never bothered to even picket their local Congressional office. Why are you attacking the President's integrity on this issue? When the legislative support is THREE Senators, two from Illinois, the tactical value of complaining to and about Obama is hard to see even if we ignore the dishonesty of blaming the wrong guy.

http://www.thepeoplesview.net/2011/04/de...or-me.html

Take that you PL whiners!

[Image: haironfire.jpg]
The GOP running for its life.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply Return to top

Messages In This Thread
Dear Joan Walsh - you do not speak for me -updated #1 - jaxx - 04-09-2011, 08:19 AM
[*]
04-09-2011, 09:23 AM
RE: Dear Joan Walsh - you do not speak for me -updated
Guantanamo can't close if there are still untried terrorists in it. Was this country always this damn dumb?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-09-2011, 05:51 PM
(04-09-2011 09:23 AM)sandnsea Wrote:  Guantanamo can't close if there are still untried terrorists in it. Was this country always this damn dumb?

Bully pulpit.

No, seriously. Many genuinely believe that all he has to do is say "do it," and it's done.

Someone has resurrecting this damnable phrase again and has started using it frequently. I've starting seeing it everywhere again.

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.” -- Dorothy Parker
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
In the Glenn Greenwald article I posted in DFP Central:

Joan Walsh yesterday urged progressives not to organize for Obama until next year while nonetheless vowing to support his re-election, which (though well-intentioned) strikes me as merely reinforcing this dynamic.

Quote:Barring something horrific, I will support President Obama in 2012. (And I read Glenn Greenwald daily, so I know there's a digest of fairly horrific things taking place in the realm of civil liberties, on top of the regular cave-ins to corporate America.) I have explained before: I think a primary race would be distracting and destructive to progressive politics. It would tear the Democratic Party apart in ways that would make that unpleasant 2008 bickering look like a love-in. As the great Michael Harrington used to say, when it comes to electoral politics, I stand on "the left wing of the possible," and that's about where I believe Obama is. So I expect to stand with Obama next year.

Those of us who live in the real world know that you cannot govern to progressives only. We saw what happened when Bush governed to his base.

I was born a Truman, but you can call me Pat. Wave

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
(04-09-2011 11:59 AM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  In the Glenn Greenwald article I posted in DFP Central:

Joan Walsh yesterday urged progressives not to organize for Obama until next year while nonetheless vowing to support his re-election, which (though well-intentioned) strikes me as merely reinforcing this dynamic.

Quote:Barring something horrific, I will support President Obama in 2012. (And I read Glenn Greenwald daily, so I know there's a digest of fairly horrific things taking place in the realm of civil liberties, on top of the regular cave-ins to corporate America.) I have explained before: I think a primary race would be distracting and destructive to progressive politics. It would tear the Democratic Party apart in ways that would make that unpleasant 2008 bickering look like a love-in. As the great Michael Harrington used to say, when it comes to electoral politics, I stand on "the left wing of the possible," and that's about where I believe Obama is. So I expect to stand with Obama next year.

Those of us who live in the real world know that you cannot govern to progressives only. We saw what happened when Bush governed to his base.
And, why should anyone who cares about facts and real progress listen to Joan Walsh who doesn't even know how the government works or if she does she purposely omits her knowledge which is the same as a lie?

"Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport. The Future Is Ours If We Actively Participate In Shaping It" Flag
John Harder~http://zerowastekauai.org/index.html
04-09-2011, 12:18 PM
And I don't mean to compare the bases--they are nothing alike. Obama said in his acceptance speech that he would be a president for all Americans, not just the ones that voted for him. Bush never even attempted.

"They want to give people like me a two hundred thousand dollar tax cut that’s paid for by asking thirty three seniors to each pay six thousand dollars more in health costs? That’s not right, and it’s not going to happen as long as I’m President." Barack Obama
04-09-2011, 12:31 PM
(04-09-2011 12:18 PM)Born_A_Truman Wrote:  And I don't mean to compare the bases--they are nothing alike. Obama said in his acceptance speech that he would be a president for all Americans, not just the ones that voted for him. Bush never even attempted.

Joan Walsh is pathetic, she is as shallow as the Rightwing while trying to portray herself as more enlightened. She is selfish and doesn't have the long goal in mind.

“One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

Plato
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
That is excellent! So well, well said!
04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
ExtremeLiberal & Angry Black Lady on Joan Walsh..
Joan Walsh, Will Pitt, firebaggers, etc, etc, etc all have a deep seated ignorance when it comes to the workings of the government but it's so easy for their lazy asses to break out the whine when it comes to President Obama and proceed to pour it all over him.

Extreme Liberal has an item up on Joan Walsh today..

"Joan Walsh’s Racist Twitter Problem – Digging Herself Out Of A Hole!"

>snip<

I had every intention of writing a post about the budget deal that went down last night, but in scanning my favorite blogs, I came across this post from Angry Black Lady at her most excellent blog, if you don’t have it bookmarked, there is something wrong with you. Smile

My opinion of Joan Walsh (Salon.com), up until now, has been pretty neutral, I don’t usually read her articles and mostly just see her on MSNBC. For the most part, she didn’t seem as anti-Obama as others in the “professional left” who have been and continue to make money on the backs of liberals. They haven’t all cashed in yet, like Arianna Huffington, give them time.

While reading through the twitter fight between ABL and Joan Walsh, it became very clear to me how she feels. You can judge for yourself. It also shed some light on why Glenn Greenwald could get away with calling us supporters of POTUS “Obama-lovers” with no repercussions. “Obama-lovers”…did you catch that? Here is the meat of the exchange on twitter that Joan Walsh is desperately trying to spin…

>the rest<
http://extremeliberal.wordpress.com/

>snip from the source-ABL's Blog<

"Joan Walsh? Resent THIS."

Keep Digging
Backdrop

As some of you may know, I recently got into a little kerfuffle with Joan Walsh on the Twitterz (of all places). [The Chirpstory can be viewed on the next page of this post.]

You see, on Wednesday I wrote a rant about the looming irrelevancy of the Professional Left aka firebaggers aka Obamabashbots. It was one in a series of screeds I have written about the destructive tactics of these self-appointed leaders of the left and their firebagger minions. It was also part of a collection of screeds written by liberals of all colors, each of whom views the attack dog tactics of the Professional Left (and the resulting rancor among the Professional Left Commentariat) as damaging to not only the President, but also the country.

>more from Angry Black Lady<
http://www.angryblacklady.com/

"Democracy Is Not A Spectator Sport. The Future Is Ours If We Actively Participate In Shaping It" Flag
04-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:It is in these smaller communities that those of us who know how to walk and chew gum at the same time are able to support the president generally, while not supporting each of his policies specifically. It is in these smaller communities that people who, ironically, refuse to see everything in “black and white” are comfortable with infinite shades of gray.

Thank you Angry Black Lady

04-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Joan also said this in that Salon article:
Quote:Obama's campaign video didn't do much to inspire me, either. New York Times columnist Charles Blow termed it "small." We get what he seems to see as his two key demographics, youth and a multiracial array of women: Alice from Michigan, who's black; Katherine from Colorado, who's white; and Gladys from Nevada, who looks Latina (forgive me, I'm not Sharron Angle, the campaign wants me to think that!). It even flicks at maybe a little bit of dissatisfaction in the base. "There are so many things that are still on the table that need to be addressed, I want them to be addressed by President Obama," Gladys says. There's also a white guy from North Carolina who says he doesn't support everything Obama does, but he "trusts" him, to stand in for that elusive male independent vote. But Blow is right: It's small; not as in intimate, just lacking reach.

WTF?

04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
That is a really great reply. Rebuttals to the constant "Obama failed us!!one!" foolishness which often have no basis in fact or honesty need to be front and center.
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM
"abandoned by all the people who claimed to care deeply but never bothered to even picket their local Congressional office."
over and over again!

this is excellent, jaxx! thank you for posting ti!
great coments, all!!

[Image: signature.php?uid=16]
04-10-2011, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2011 06:56 PM by atomic.)
Every once in a while the PUMA in Joan rears its ugly head. She knows damn well why Guantanamo hasn't closed and that it is beyond the ability of the president to overrule Congress. This kind of whiny hit job isn't appreciated.

Is féidir linn.
04-10-2011, 03:13 PM
(04-10-2011 11:09 AM)eliz@sf Wrote:  Everyone once in a while the PUMA in Joan rears its ugly head. She knows damn well why Guantanamo hasn't closed and that it is beyond the ability of the president to overrule Congress. This kind of whiny hit job isn't appreciated.
Yeah, if you read Angry Black Lady's "kerfuffle" with Joan Walsh "the PUMA" mentality was in full ugly regalia and all their implications.

"Joan Walsh? Resent THIS"

http://www.angryblacklady.com/

04-10-2011, 11:35 AM
From Cha's post I love the term "Obamabashbots". It's describes those whiners about everything Obama does to perfection.

I think we need a DFP dictionary to keep track of some of these wonderful words.

"I give thanks for this perfect day. Miracle will follow miracle and wonders will never cease."

"With all the worldwide mass extinctions occurring, dare we hope republicans are among them?"
04-10-2011, 12:19 PM
During the Bush Administration, the PL complained (rightfully so) that Bush was over-stepping his power. Now that Obama is in office and trying to restore Constitutional checks and balances, they complain because Obama is NOT over-stepping his powers and doing what THEY want, despite the Constitution.

I expect this kind of hypocrisy from the Right, but I thought the Professional Left was better than that. Obviously, I was wrong. I do not support such hypocrisy from anyone on the Right, and I won't support it from anyone claiming to be on the Left. They are damaging our cause rather than helping it.